General Meeting Minutes for 1976
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the Great Hall of the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth at 2.00 p.m. on Thursday, 8th April, 1976.
Professor A O Morris was in the chair.
- The Chairman welcomed the guest speakers Professor G Harder, Professor J L Lions and Professor J J Seidel.
- The Chairman drew attention to the death of Professor T Flett and the Colloquium asked the Chairman to write to Mrs Flett and to express its sympathy and condolences.
- The minutes of the General Meeting at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne were read and approved.
- The accounts of the 27th Colloquium were approved.
- On behalf of University College, London, Professor D G Larman invited the 1979 Colloquium to London. The probable dates would be 3rd - 7th April, 1979. The invitation was accepted with acclamation.
- The following retired from the Committee:
Dr T S Blyth, Professor R F Churchhouse, Dr A M Davie, Dr M J Dunwoody, Professor B E Johnson, Dr N Ray, Professor R L E Schwarzenberger and Dr R A Walton.
The following were elected to serve on the Committee:
Dr W D Evans, Dr R Haydon, Mr B M Hurley, Dr Ü Kuran, Profesor I G Macdonald, Dr P McMullen, Dr J D P Meldrum and Professor D A R Wallace.
- It was announced that the Committee would meet at 8.00 p.m. in Rendel Library, Penbryn.
- The Chairman gave a brief description of the reasons for the LMS/EMS proposal on linking the Colloquium with the Societies and referred to a special meeting of the committee which decided unanimously to recommend the acceptance of these proposals. After a few questions from the floor, a vote agreeing to the committee's recommendations was carried almost unanimously.
- Professor D A R Wallace proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman, Secretary and others who had helped in the organisation of the Colloquium.
Minutes signed by J D P Meldrum (undated).