BMC General Meeting Minutes for 2018
British Mathematical Colloquium 2018 Minutes of the Annual General Meeting
Physics Lecture Theatre A, University of St Andrews
1:30pm, 13 June 2018
In the chair: Phil Rippon (Chair of BMC Scientific Committee).
- Apologies for absence had been received from Elizabeth Fisher, Tony Nixon.
- Minutes of the AGM of BMC 2017, held at University of Durham, were approved with no matters arising.
- BMC 2019 This is to be held at the University of Lancaster from 8-11 April 2019. It was announced that plenary lectures will be given by
Michel Broué (Université Paris Diderot, France; Representation theory), Nicolas Monod (EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland; Ergodic theory and geometric group theory) and Yuval Peres (Microsoft Research, Redmond, USA; Probability).
There will be a public lecture by Timothy Gowers (Cambridge)
Morning speakers confirmed so far are
Michael Wemyss (Glasgow), Piotr Koszmider (IMPAN, Poland), Stefanie Petermichl (Toulouse), Simone Severini (UCL), and Goulnara Arzhantseva (Vienna).
There will be workshops on
Algebra, Geometry, Analysis, Probability, Combinatorics and Mathematics Education.
- BMC 2020 It was reported that the 2020 BMC/BAMC will be held on 6-9 April 2020 at the University of Glasgow.
- Future BMCs The Committee is discussing potential locations for BMC 2021.
- Election of a representative of the 2018 BMC to serve on the BMC Scientific Committee for the
coming year. Brigitte Stenhouse (Open) was nominated and agreed to serve.
- YRM It was announced that the Young Researchers in Mathematics meeting for 2018 would be held at the University of Southampton from 23-26 July 2018.
- Any other business. The meeting thanked St Andrews colleagues for their work in organising the BMC.
Members present: c. 60. The meeting closed after 8 minutes.
6 September 2018