General Meeting Minutes for 1974
Minutes of the meeting of the Committee of the British Mathematical Colloquium, held in the Library, Owens Park at the University of Manchester, at 8.30 p.m. on Wednesday 28th March 1973.
- Professor W Ledermann was elected Chairman.
- Dr D Newton was nominated as secretary and co-opted.
- The minutes of the committee meeting at Glasgow were read and approved.
- There were two matters arising from the minutes:
(a) The question of making firm invitations to the General Meeting three years in advance was again raised and it was decided that at the 1974 meeting there should be invitations for the 1976 and 1977 Colloquia.
(b) The secretary to the 1973 Colloquium reported that approximately £400 of the accumulated funds had been used to subsidise the dinner to celebrate the 25th Colloquium.
- The chairman raised the problems of accommodating a Colloquium of around 550 members at smaller universities, with particular reference to Sussex, and the question of restricting numbers was discussed. The suggestion that research students be discouraged met with disapproval. The committee decided that as far as the 1974 Colloquium was concerned numbers should be governed by the available lecture theatre accommodation and any restrictions be made on a 'first come, first served' basis.
- The committee then made suggestions for speakers for 1974. During this the committee, after some discussion decided that in the programme of the 1974 Colloquium one of the 40-minute morning sessions should be on mathematical education. This decision to be reviewed by the next committee.
- Future meetings were then discussed. As decided at the general meeting the hosts for 1975 would be Newcastle. Professor A O Morris confirmed the invitation for the B.M.C. to meet in Aberystwyth in 1976. The Chairman then agreed to act on behalf of the committee in finding a suitable venue for the 1977 Colloquium.
- The Chairman on behalf of the committee thanked Professor I G Macdonald and Dr F B Coghlan for arranging a successful Colloquium and asked that these thanks be extended to all who had helped in its organisation.
Minutes signed by Barry Johnson on 3 April 1974.